Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Anthony David's: CornerTable does Hoboken

Yes, sometimes I find myself in Hoboken. I used to be scared. Scared of admitting there was a place in Jersey that wasn’t too bad. Scared of leaving the little city I live in. But, I’m over it. I’m getting over myself one day at a time.

On my way to self destruction…I mean discovery… I am allowing myself to experience the culinary mastery that is Hoboken, NJ. I have eaten at a couple places around town, but never went so far to blog about it! Whoa. Calm down there.

Anthony Davids wasn’t our first choice, but it was on “the list” so I’m glad we got to it. It was Mother’s Day, so there were people dressed up with families and babies and mommies. There I was in a t-shirt and a baseball cap (Go Marlins!). So… no worries, they take all kinds. Onto the purpose of this blog, since I can wax poetic all day.

We started with a hearty yet crisp romaine salad with caesar vinaigrette, parmesan (shaved and sliced) and a crostini dressed with balsamic vinaigrette and an olive tapenade. Of course I needed to try the Lobster Risotto with saffron and crisp peas. My only complaint was that the rice was more my-mom’s-paella, less good restaurant’s risotto. Granted, the description did say saffron, but I was thinking just yellow rice. The crisp peas were great as peas always are, so that made up for it a little bit. I had a taste of the lamb, which was very meaty, like a steak, not the tender juicy lamb I’m used to. Yet again, the dish was saved by the accompaniment, the blue cheese mashed potatoes. You can only imagine the smelly creaminess of it all.

The outdoor seating was a plus, as Hoboken is a cute little town, which I will soon call home. But, I’m a little scared if this is some of the best that Hoboken has to offer. I’ll still come back into the city for the good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment