Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Blue Ribbon Sushi

I always tell people that it is un-New York to not eat sushi. It’s my little way of getting back at the people who tell me it’s un-American to not eat ice cream (which I do not like). What are the best sushi places in NYC? Probably the ones I cannot afford to go to…

Citysearch has an interesting list , with Blue Ribbon coming in a strong 4.

Of those, I have also been to Yama (love it – on Irving), Morimoto (on the most expensive blind date ever, excellent food…) and Bond Street (decent, but more sceney than foodie).

Most of these places have been in NYMag’s list for years. I won’t spoil this entry with talking about my experience at Sasabune (because nothing compares). I guess good sushi will always be a staple in New York's diet.

I had only been to Blue Ribbon Sushi once before, so it was like the first time all over again. It’s difficult for me to describe sushi. I’m just hoping most people know what it is…

The Sake Tataki (salmon tartare) is one of the best in the business. I am not a huge salmon fan (too fishy and boring) and I really liked this dish. A couple of years ago, I had my first face off with a quail egg on top of tartar. Are raw eggs good for you? I know body builders love them, why shouldn’t I?
The Kanpachi Usuzukuri (thinly sliced amberjack with yuzu pepper) was next. I have never tasted amberjack. As usual, I looked it up. There are many pictures on the web of very excited people holding up their catches. Being from Florida myself, it’s a wonder that I have never eaten amberjack, yet they are found there.
Wakame (seaweed with sesame dressing): This is just a general favorite of mine. I think it’s the sweetness and the different textures. I would much rather have seaweed salads than 8 pieces of iceberg lettuce with ginger dressing.
Spicy Tuna & Tempura Flakes with cucumber inside out… do most real sushi eaters find spicy tuna a non-choice? It is definitely the one I, and all my friends, tend to go after at every place. For a while, I told myself that I was on a quest for the best spicy tuna roll in the city. Then, I realized that was a dumb quest and that tuna are filled with mercury and I shouldn’t be eating it more than once a week.

Where have I had a spicy tuna roll you ask? Let’s go through a few places: Yama, Aki Sushi, Sumile, Taka, Lure Fishbar, Blue Ginger, Blue Ribbon, Bond Street, Haru, Hakata Grill, Natsumi… ok ok you get the point? Some spicy rolls are overly spicy (Hakata! Thankfully the one by work closed), but Blue Ribbon has hit the mark. The roll is not overloaded with the spicy mayo nor is it 90% rice, 10% fish/mayo combo.


Spicy Crab Roll (blue crab & shiso) This is just another twist on a spicy tuna roll… with crab. I happen to love fake crab (kani). However, you really need the real crab in the good rolls, which Blue Ribbon had.
Madai (japanese red snapper). This was my “random sushi piece” choice of the night. I’m sorry to mention this, but Sasabune’s snapper sushi put this piece to shame (I mentioned it again...)
The Karai Ise Ebi (spicy lobster with egg wrapper.) I decided to test this one out because it was the most unique of the sushi choices and one roll just isn’t enough to fill me up. The egg wrapper was interesting. It reminded me of a crepe, very thin, no overpowering taste. The sushi piece came with a sizeable piece of lobster, no skimping here.

Blue Ribbon Sushi is a great choice if you don’t mind spending some dough to get some grub. We waited in the entrance way and were allowed to order drinks and appetizers (people were even eating full meals there) and waited 40 minutes on a Wednesday night at 8, table of 3. As a side note, I believe the people next to us were on a date, even though they were both married. Very awkward, yet, as usual, great NYC people watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment