Friday, April 17, 2009

Braeburn

I needed a place to bring my parents. This is not easy task. It was requested that I bring them somewhere like the places I write about, yet it can’t be too expensive (so I couldn’t go crazy) and it couldn’t be loud (which took out about 95% of the restaurants I would normally try). Therefore, off I went on a search for the perfect place.

I thought I knew the west village. Yet, another restaurant has popped up that I never knew about and never would have considered going to, if not for an equally obsessed foodie friend. Thanks Nick! (No not my nick, another nick). Its reasonably priced and reasonably quiet, not to mention they liked the food (and the company, which can’t be beat!)

I feel like we all really got to know Braeburn. There were four of us. We ordered 4 appetizers and 4 entrees, basically the entire menu. For appetizers, we ate the Clam Chowder with littleneck & razor clams, chorizo, dill, the Spring Mache Salad with breakfast radish, bacon, sherry shallot vinaigrette, the Quail “Sausage” with baby white turnips, smoked mustard sauce and the Roasted Beet Salad with Braeburn apples, spicy walnuts, goat cheese fondue. I don’t really feel the urge to discuss the salads, other than to say that they were good, as salads go. The clam chowder was excellent. It was what I would consider in a light cream sauce. It’s no Capital Parker’s, but sometimes you can do without the heavy appetizer. The chowder was nicely spiced, a bit “crunchy” for my mom’s taste, which was because of the crispy dill. Sounds gross? Tasted great. The quail “sausage” not only was an interesting dish to eat, but it was also a conversation piece. What is a quail sausage you ask? Well, I assumed it was quail spiced and in the shape of sausage. I was incorrect. I still think I am correct. My dad… disagrees. Yet, we did agree that it was rather tasty and uniquely creative. I suggest that you try it, if you are adventurous enough to taste a small helpless bird that never did anything to you anyway. Sorry – a little of the old vegetarian coming out there… back to reality (oh there goes gravity).

Continuing on our tour of Braeburn, we ordered the Top Sirloin of Lamb with crushed peas, mint, and garlic sausage, the Skate with bok choy, honshemeji mushrooms and maine mussel broth, the N.Y. Striploin with grilled radicchio, pickled cippolini, and balsamic vinegar and the Petite Veal Rack with fava beans, red shallot puree, and Madeira jus. To be honest, we only ordered all of these things because everyone else, less me, wanted to order to the lamb. I told them that was ridiculous, and because I’m boss they listened... How can I write a blog about one entrĂ©e? I’m selfish… So, we all ordered different items. I had the Skate, which is like a sting-ray. You can tell if you buy it in a store, or go to a restaurant that serves you hefty portions, the you are getting a big chunk of wing (yummy thought…). I love it. I first fell in love at Lure Fishbar (excellent). But Braeburns’s skate was equally as good. I like the way you can peel apart the fish in segments. I can’t help playing with my food. I did try everything. The lamb was excellent, and although I found it to be a little fatty, it was the better of the other three entrees. The steak was cooked well, but its just a steak… The veal rack was also well received. All in all, we had a good time and an excellent meal.

Random side note that I think is cool: They also have a $30 comfort menu that you can substitute with Passover menu until April 15th (I posted too late for this to matter; assuming anyone even reads this blog and/or takes my recommendations?)

No comments:

Post a Comment