Thursday, January 15, 2009

INSIEME


Brought to you by the fellas that brought you Hearth.


I was going to see a show the other day in the theatre district (Spring Awakening), so I took a suggestion from a co-worker to try Insieme. It is one of those restaurants that you always walk by, wondering whats inside, but you would never go because who eats in Midtown? Well, I found out who eats there. Suits.

We were surrounded, not by big tables for client dinners, but more by intimate work dinners with two people just wanting quiet and a good meal. I did stumble downstairs to find a really nice and big room for private parties. It looked like it sat 20 people. It was very secluded.

Those suits knew what they were doing. The food was excellent. There is a pasta tasting menu that looked so good that I ordered two of the appetizer size items off the tasting menu (yes, they let me!). All of the pastas we had (we each ordered two apps) tasted as if they were made by hand by a little grandma in a hot kitchen. That poor little lady, she can really make her pasta. I had the Tortelli – pumpkin, Amaretti and Mustard Fruits. Tortelli are huge tortellini. There are four in the app size and they were served in olive oil, covered in a sweet sauce with a crispy topping. Next I ordered the risotto (I always order risotto) – Porcini, Hen of the Woods, Crimini Mushrooms and Thyme. It was a very large serving for an appetizer, so note you can order as your dish. The rice, cooked beautifully soft, was mixed with a creamy dark sauce. I happen to really like hen of the woods mushrooms, so that was a treat! I’m a simple girl. Obviously, by now you can tell I love scallops. But, I also love Risotto. Its a very simple dish at heart with so much depth.

We did order the Insalata di Misticanza – lettuce, vegetables, 3yr Old Parmesan and balsamic vinegar. This came with a tender pumpkin slice, cauliflower (amazing) and raisins. An interesting mix to say the least. However, it worked.

Notes about the ambiance: Excellent water filling. Quick service (we noted we were going to a show). Very quiet and dimly lit. I had a 6:30 reservation, called and came at 6:50 was fine. On Opentable, this restaurant was not eligible for OpenTable points. Unsure why?


If you need a good restaurant for a show or a client, Insieme is an excellent choice.

Late Addition: I was just yelled at by a co-worker (thanks B!) for not trying the Lasagne.
Luckily, N got the lasagne and loved it, so I am in the clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment