Wednesday, January 28, 2009

KLEE


I’m not sure when this place opened, but it’s been getting a lot of buzz. So, when we attempted to try the new pizza place Co. (or as the sign on the building says, Company) and it was closed for lunch (harsh!), we ended up at Klee.


What a pleasant surprise! Maybe I like lunch/brunch better than dinner? I’m not sure, because I sure loved my soup and lobster rolls! A very attentive hostess sat us and helped the waiter throughout the meal, filling our water (yay) and clearing the plates. The ambience and experience were relaxing and enjoyable.

We each tried a soup (the two on the menu). I had the Bean soup consommé with almond milk herbs, porcini mushroom dumpling and N had the Creamless five color carrot soup with smoked cheese shavings and salted pretzel croutons (as good as they sound). To be honest, I was a little worried about the almond milk. I do not drink milk (yet I do eat cheese/yogurt). But, both were fantastic. A little salty, which I love, but it’s not for everyone. The presentation was very posh, with the soups in a carafe and poured onto the vegetables and cheese at the table by our nice waiter.

I then ordered the four mini lobster roll sandwiches with citrus aioli and diced celery. The rolls were on overly buttered but fresh baked bread. The bread (with the rolls and the soup) tasted like they just took it out of the oven. Small complaint about the butter: I’m fine with a little butter here and there, but no need to leave a pat under the sandwich. I left a lot on the plate. There could have been a bit more lobster in my lobster roll (its no Pearl Oyster Bar or Ed's Lobster Bar). But, overall the sandwiches were very tasty. N had the Schnitzel on baguette (veal lightly breaded and pan-fried) with lingonberries, pickled cucumber, which came with salad. I appreciate a salad over fries, especially when I’m not hung-over!

I say go, give this Chelsea restaurant a try. Will have to hit that pizza place up late night.

BTW - I looked up Almond Milk... I had nothing to worry about: Almond milk is a milky drink made from ground almonds. Unlike animal milk, almond milk contains no cholesterol or lactose and can be used as a substitute for animal milk in many recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment