Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Chelsea Market on your to-do list

You like my play on words there? Chelsea Market had everything that I needed on a rainy Sunday. The Lobster Place (also on Bleeker), Amy’s Bread (best grilled cheese in the city), an Italian supermarket stocked with freshly made and cheap raviolis (among other things) and the piece de resistance… Fat Witch Bakery. If you have not had a brownie here, you haven’t lived. (Find a list of the many other places here: http://www.chelseamarket.com/)

Let’s start at the beginning. Chelsea Market is located at the top (north) of the illustrious meat packing district, in the building that houses Buddakhan and Morimoto (opposite sides of the building). The Food Network films their shows in the building as well. If that isn’t enough for you to want to venture over to the west-ness of the Westside, I’ll tell you about my lunch there and you will be changed forever.

Like I noted earlier, Amy’s Bread has the best grilled cheese sandwich in the city. I have heard rumblings about Wilfie and Nell, a new bar on 4th and Charles in the old Absolutely 4th location, but just don’t believe the hype. I’ve been eating Amy’s Grilled Cheese since I started at my current job (6 years ago), because there is a Hell’s Kitchen location. To be honest, they are a little heavy on the butter and cheese, but the addition of the greens, tomato and onion make you forget about the fat. They are made in the morning (but pressed to order) and run out quickly (in the uptown location) so make your decision early. You will never look back once you taste the hot gooey NY state cheddar cheese in your mouth.
I must add that I also love their White Been Puree sandwich and the Beet and Quinoa salad (which is big enough for two to share or one to crush).

After my foray into the hot food, I also split a lobster roll from The Lobster Place. When you walk into this store, you cannot help but be overcome by the smell of seafood. The smell is as if you are standing on the docks and the fish looks that fresh. Some you can buy whole, but most are filleted for you already. Since the night before Pearl and Mary’s failed to serve me a lobster roll, I had to cheat and check out this new place. (Not really a new place, just new to me). It was great. Some mayo, some additions, but it is the big chunks of tail meat that gets you hooked. Give me a lobster roll on a toasted hot dog bun anytime and I’m satisfied (is that sad?). I can not wait to try the sushi. Is there such thing as too fresh?

Two words to live by: Fat Witch. Some think “mother-in-law”, I think brownies!!! I actually stopped there first. Who knew that on a whim I could go there and get a signature brownie sample? I thought that only happened in my dreams. Don’t let the cute little emblem scare you off, these are serious brownies. Dense yet smooth, intense yet sweet. If I wasn’t watching my weight (er?) then I’d eat one after every meal.

So, that’s just a little insight into the wonderment that is the Chelsea market. There is so much more to explore, from the Italian and Thai specialty markets, to the pot pies at The Green table. I’m just excited I had the chance to go… Although, I was told by my boyfriend that he may never speak to me again for not bringing him there earlier in our relationship. If he only knew….

No comments:

Post a Comment