Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Welcome to the Cookshop!


We are all creatures of habit, right? That must be why I go to the same restaurants and order the same thing every time I go? I should try to stop it… but I JUST CAN”T. I am mentally unable to not order the Egg Scramble (3 eggs, caramelized onions, creme fraiche, dill & buttermilk biscuit with smoked salmon) at Cookshop for brunch. I have looked at the menu multiple times. I figure I could be happy with the salad, or the heuvos rancheros or even the frittata. BUT I CAN”T DO IT!! It is my favorite breakfast in the city (apart from a homemade omelet with tater tots). Scrambled Eggs with lox and sautéed onions on the best buttermilk biscuit you will ever taste. Go there. Try it. You will not be disappointed. It’s even better than the peanut butter and jelly French toast.

Welcome to the Cookshop. Located on a corner of the unassuming, and semi sketchy, part of west Chelsea, this restaurant is a real gem. I have yet to come across anyone who does not appreciate the fresh, well-made meals that Cookshop dishes out every day and night of the week. I would know; I have been about 20 times. I looked the restaurant up on menu pages; the menu is different and the $$$$ a plenty (don't believe the hype). I posted a picture that I ganked from NYMag (love it). In the back of the restaurant is a huge blackboard. On the blackboard is a list of all the farms where the food came from that day.

I do not want you to think I haven’t tried everything on the menu, because that would be false. It’s just the breakfast that I can’t steer away from. Dinner is a different animal all together. I’ve had the amazing banana bread (hint of chocolate!); all of the salad starters, two different scallop entrees, all of the “snacks”, two different pizza apps, and of course the Halibut.

The servers and hosts are always very diligent and nice. The atmosphere is homey and welcoming. I have sat inside, outside and at the bar, all with seamless service. Not that this should sway you in any way (and I hope to not deter you…) but Gweneth Paltrow gave it as one of her favorite restaurants in Manhattan. Granted… I have never seen her there. I kind of hope not to, as I like the anonymity of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment