Monday, February 9, 2009

Ed's Lobster Bar


The poor man’s Pearl Oyster Bar? Well, it did stem from the same kitchen….

I went on a Sunday to check out the $33 Clam Bake at Ed's Lobster Bar, but at 7:30 they were sold out. Actually, they were sold out of pretty much everything. The only saving grace was that we were sitting at the bar area and heard every time the chef came into the kitchen to tell the waitress to 86 this and 86 that. I thought I heard that the lobster rolls were done for the day. We were about to get up and leave for Mary’s Fish Camp (Pearl is closed on Sundays), when she said they had two left! Perfect for me, not so much for all the people coming in after.

So, after a taste of the clam chowder, which was not as thick as I like but had whole clams in it and was tasty, and two oysters, a recommendation from the waitress, we each got our own lobster roll! I like Ed’s because the lobster rolls are just that… Lobster. There is no celery or any other random vegetable in the mix. In addition, they are skimpy on the mayo, which is a good thing in my mind. We got full chunks of lobster, not just the veiny leg pieces (like my Klee mini rolls). The bun is nicely, but not overly, buttered and the pickles that come on the side are wonderful. The salty fries aren’t half-bad either.

Overall, the restaurant screams random shack in New England (to a New Yorker or Floridian in my case). I’m all about restaurant competition, so bring it on Pearl and Mary’s. I would be happy to be a part of a serious Lobster Roll off. I think I’m qualified. I've had them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment